Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Here are some interesting facts about Spanish that will surprise and help you when translating into and from Spanish:
1. Spanish is a Romance language.
2. Spanish is spoken by over 400 million people worldwide.
3. Spanish is the official language in 22 countries on four continents.
4. Spanish has been influenced by other languages.
5. About 70% of Spanish words are of Latin origin.
6. The oldest Spanish texts were written over 1000 years ago.
7. Spanish is poetic and has long sentences.
8. The United States could become the largest Spanish-speaking country.
9. The Spanish Royal Academy was established in the 18th century.
10. Spanish is the third most used language on the Internet.
11. Spanish is the second most studied language in the world.
12. Mexico is the largest Spanish-speaking country, with over 121 million people.
13. Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn for native English speakers.
14. Spanish (Español) is also known as Castilian (Castellano).
15. Spanish is a phonetic language, which means that all words are pronounced exactly as they are written.
16. The most used letter in Spanish is ″E″.
17. Spanish has inverted exclamation and question marks.
18. Given the three modes (Indicative, Subjunctive, and Imperative), there are 17 tenses in Spanish.
19. The letter ″ñ″ is the only letter of Spanish origin.
If you want to find out more about the Spanish language, check out our article on this topic: 5 interesting facts about Spanish language.
[Photo from Pixabay]