Estimated reading time: 1 minute
In this article we will present 8 interesting facts about French language that you probably did not know:
1. The longest word in the dictionary is ″anticonstitutionnellement″ and has 25 letters.
2. The longest word of all is the full chemical name for thiamine and has 49 letters: ″aminométhylpyrimidinylhydroxyéthylméthythiazolium″.
3. On the contrary, the shortest French word that has all the vowels is ″oiseau″.
4. Here are some words in French such as ″simple″, ″quatorze″, ″quinze″ or ″monstre″, which does not rhyme with any other French word.
5. The longest city name is Saint-Remy-en-Bouzemont-Saint-Genest-et-Isson, located in the department of Marne, northeastern France.
6. The shortest city name is Y. It is located in Somme, northern France.
7. The popular French comic series, Astérix, has been translated into over 100 languages.
8. The only time you will see the letter ″W″ in French will be in a foreign word.
If you want to find out how to translate into and from French, check out our article on this topic: French translations.
[Photo from freeimages.com]