Estimated reading time: 1 minute
In this article we will present 11 interesting facts about English language that you probably did not know:
1. The shortest complete sentence in English is “I am”.
2. A sentence that contains all the 26 letters of the alphabet is called a “pangram”.
3. The longest word in English that can be written without repeating any letter is “uncopyrightable”.
4. The longest word in English has 45 letters: “pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis”. It is a pulmonary disease caused by the inhalation of volcanic silicon dust.
5. There is no English word that rhymes with “month”, “orange”, “silver” or “purple”.
6. “Pronunciation” is the most mispronounced word in English.
7. Due to a printing error, there was a word in the English dictionary from 1932 to 1940 that had no meaning. The word was “Dord” and became known as “ghost word”.
8. English is the official language of heaven. No matter what country they come from, all pilots speak English on international flights.
9. About one new word is added to the English language every two hours and around 4,000 new words are added to the English dictionary each year.
10. The word “girl” was not initially used to refer to a specific gender. It meant “child” or “young” regardless of gender.
11. Only two English words currently used end in “-gry”: “angry” and “hungry”.
If you want to find out how to translate into and from English, check out our article on this topic: English translations.
[Photo from Pexels]