Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Here are some interesting facts about Catalan that will surprise and help you when translating into/from Catalan:
1. Catalan is a Romance language, closely related to Occitan (the language spoken in the south of France).
2. Catalan is spoken by over 9 million people worldwide.
3. Catalan was banned in Spain until 1975.
4. Catalan is not a dialect of Spanish.
5. Catalan has six dialects, from east to west.
6. Catalan is more similar to French and Italian than to Spanish.
7. Catalan is the only official language of Andorra.
8. Catalan is one of the three official languages of Catalonia, along with Spanish and Occitan.
9. Catalan is the nineteenth most used language on Twitter.
10. Catalan is the seventeenth language with the most articles on Wikipedia.
If you want to find out how to translate into and from German, check out our article on this topic: German translations.
[Photo from Unsplash]